If you use Outlook, you will find this blog to be extremely useful. We’ll show you how to convert OST to PST using various methods. You’ll also learn about different aspects of OST to PST conversion. So, read on to learn three free tips for converting OST to PST.
What are the differences between OST and PST files?
Outlook data files are saved in both OST and PST formats. The mailbox data is saved on a local drive. However, because they serve different purposes, you cannot use them interchangeably.
Offline Storage File (OST) is the abbreviation for Offline Storage File. It’s a system-wide copy of your Outlook mailbox data. You will receive multiple Outlook errors if this file becomes corrupted.
Outlook PST files, on the other hand, are backup files. When you save an Outlook backup to your computer, it is saved in PST format. This is the best file type for sharing and recovering Outlook mailbox data if it gets corrupted.
PST Files vs. OST Files: Which Is Better?
- You might be wondering if PST files are better than OST files. However, there is no definitive answer to this question. It is dependent on the scenario in which the data file is used.
- OST files are suitable if you want an offline copy of your mailbox without taking up additional space. However, you should use PST rather than OST for backup and sharing.
- Outlook PST files are more dependable than OST files in terms of durability. Converting OST files to PST format is also beneficial for a variety of reasons.
Is it Really Necessary for OST to PST Conversion?
If you ask me, I’d advise you to make a backup of your Outlook mailbox data because saving your Outlook data file to a local drive has numerous benefits. Converting OST to PST files online is advantageous in a variety of ways. Let’s take a look at some of the most important reasons.
- You will be unable to access your emails if you delete your Outlook data file from the Exchange server. As a result, making a backup will assist you in restoring your data.
- If you want to share your emails and other mailbox data with other users, you must first download it. This feature is not available in an OST or Offline Outlook file.
- The best thing about PST files is that they last longer than OST files. As a result, the chances of file corruption are relatively low.
- We’ve gone over what Outlook data files are and why you should switch from OST to PST so far. So, here we are. We’ll go over how to export your Outlook mailbox to a PST file.
How to Convert OST to PST for Free
You can manually or professionally export your Outlook mailbox to PST format. Outlook gives you a number of options for backing up your data. The only prerequisite is that you are familiar with Outlook’s features. So, let’s look at how to manually convert an Outlook OST file to a PST file format.
Free Methods to Convert OST to PST?
#1. OST to PST Conversion Using Outlook’s Import-Export Option
It is the simplest and most efficient method of saving your Outlook data as a PST file to your computer. We demonstrate how to backup data using the Import/Export feature.
- Start the Outlook program and choose File from the File menu.
- After that, go to the Open & Export tab and select Import/Export from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Export to a file option in the Import and Export Wizard. Next should be selected.
- After that, select the Outlook Data File (.pst) and click the Next button.
- Now, select a specific mailbox folder and click Next.
- Click Finish after selecting a custom saving location for the backup file by pressing Browse.
#2. To Convert OST Mailbox to Outlook PST, Enable the Auto-Archive Feature.
The auto-archive feature in Outlook allows you to convert OST to PST and create mailbox backups on a regular basis. As a result, you must always manually migrate your emails. The steps to enable Auto-Archive in Outlook are outlined below.
- Open Microsoft Outlook on your computer.
- Now, go to the menu bar and click the File button.
- Select the Options tab from the left side after that.
- Select the Advanced tab from the Options wizard.
- After that, press the icon for Auto Archive Settings.
- Choose AutoArchive Frequency and other details according to your preferences.
- Finally, press the OK button to finish the procedure.
These are the two options for OST to PST Conversion in MS Outlook. Choose the professional OST to PST Converter if you are a novice user who is unable to perform the above steps.